How to reduce social isolation and favour intercultural knowledge?
How to help public services to overcome linguistic barriers in communicating with the foreigners?
The kick-off meeting of SMIIM – Skill to maximise Inclusion through interpreting and Mediation project was held on the 11th and 12th of January 2018 in Hemel Hempstead (UK). SMIIM is the follow-up project of the successful Language Interpreter Training as a Stepping Stone to Work which was implemented few years ago by the same consortium.
The project aims to make a meaningful contribution to reducing social isolation, gaps in intercultural knowledge of the migrant / refugee and the host country public services and language communication barriers.
The project plans the following activities:
- Local events: the project foresees two partner events to promote their activities through invitations to events, presentations to other networking events of local communities;
- Two training courses for staff and interpreters / cultural mediators to test the on-line platform.
All partners will test the methods presented during the training, modifying them and developing them according to the specific needs / constraints of their target groups (local pilot laboratories);
During the kick-off meeting in the UK, partners discussed about tasks, work packages and results of the project.
The project aims at obtain the following results:
- Implementation of a web portal to improve the educational offer for students in the field of cultural interpretation and mediation. This innovative product will enable students to practice speaking and pronunciation with their students in other partner countries;
- Twelve promotional events (two per partner);
- Creation of six innovative products including web portal, on-line educational material, video and voice repository and a manual for trainers;
- Training for 60 students (10 for partners), to train 30 interpreters and 30 cultural mediators;
- Training for 12 trainers / mediators (2 per partner) for a continuous professional development opportunity.
Next partner meeting will be in Berlin in September 2018.
SMIIM partners are:
- Coordinator: DACORUM COUNCIL FOR VOLUNTARY SERVICE LTD (UK),
- Active Citizens Partnership (Greece),
- RUNI CENTER (Bulgaria),
- SwIdeas AB (Sweden),
- iberika education group gGmbH (Germany),
- Centro per lo Sviluppo Creativo “Danilo Dolci” (Italy).
For further information please contact Dario Ferrante firstname.lastname@example.org