COMMIT – COMMunIcation campaign against exTremism and radicalisation is a European project funded by the European Commission under the Internal Security Fund – Civil Society Empowering Programme, coordinated by Centro per lo Sviluppo Creativo Danilo Dolci, in cooperation with the University of Palermo and other 4 organisations in Europe.
COMMIT aims at to prevent and dissuade susceptible & vulnerable audience from extremism, radicalism & terrorism through the development of communication campaigns on social media.
WHAT IS THE PROJECT ABOUT?
COMMIT has run 3 communication campaigns about…
- fake news, hate speech, populistic propaganda
- extremism, radicalism and terrorism
- active bystandership and youth participation
Working together with…
- Young people (aged 13 – 25)
- University students of journalism and communication
- Civil society organisations, media professionals, public authorities and other stakeholders.
COMMIT has provided them with skills needed to co-develop and disseminate alternative and counter-narratives promoting democratic values, tolerance & cooperation, through workshops, capacity building activities, events….
THE COMMIT CAMPAIGN
The COMMIT Campaign is called “HATE: A COURSE IN THREE LESSONS”.
With our contents we want to take the audience through the discovery of the roots of hatred, in three steps:
1. Fear and Hate: an intimate relationship
showing how hate speech, fake news and populistic propaganda thrive on fear and loss of positive identity, an easy hook to hate and violence;
2. In-grouping and scapegoating: how we love our enemies
Reflecting on how fear and insecurity nurture the dynamic of “us vs. them” that justifies hatred and violence;
3. Active bystandership: the magic bullet
Inviting young people to consciously acting, attacking problems, not people!
All the contents developed for our campaign are available on Social media, and on our website, have a look on them and get inspired!
OUR LAST ACTIVITIES
An online contest has been running in recent months involving young people in Palermo and beyond for telling us what it means for them to combat hate in their daily life, to become active bystandership and active citizens. More than 25 entries were received in the competition, and during the final event on Thursday the 26th of May, the top 10 entries were shown and prizes were awarded to the top 3, voted by a panel of experts.
These posts and videos have been also published in the social media of COMMIT Italy, representing a final step of co-creation and contribution to our campaign from young people.
It has been a festive moment for concluding our project, after 2 years and a half of work against hate, online and offline!
COMMIT IN NUMBERS
- 30 months of project activities
- 6 partner organisations
- 5 EU countries
- 45 people interviewed for our target audience mapping
- 24 social media pages analysed for our content analysis
- 4 capacity building programmes implemented
- More than 80 University Students and CSOs members trained
- Around 50 workshops with youngsters held
- More that 80 young people participating
- 1 campaign
- 3 lessons
- 10 social media channels!
- 4 psychological support lines
- 1 final conference
- 2 face-to-face meeting between project partners
- ..and many more online!
- and also events, webinars, seminars, contests…
Do you want to read our reports, researches, training materials and other contents available?
Visit our website in the section RESOURCES.
THE COMMIT PROJECT HAS COME TO AN END … BUT OUR COMMITMENT AGAINST HATE CONTINUES!
Our work is not ending here!
We want to create a network of practitioners, CSOs, students, professionals who share our vision and want to stay connected for take a stand against hate daily.
If you want to join us SIGN THE COMMIT DECLARATION and sign in to our FORUM, for sharing ideas, initiatives and new opportunities of cooperation.
COMMIT – COMMunIcation campaign against exTremism and radicalisation is a European project funded by the European Commission under the Internal Security Fund – Civil Society Empowering Programme, coordinated by Centro per lo Sviluppo Creativo Danilo Dolci, in cooperation with the University of Palermo and other 4 organisations in Europe. COMMIT aims at to prevent and dissuade susceptible & vulnerable audience from extremism, radicalism & terrorism through the development of communication campaigns on social media.
- Coordinator: CENTRO PER LO SVILUPPO CREATIVO DANILO DOLCI, Italy
- KENTRO MERIMNAS OIKOGENEIAS KAI PAIDIOU – KMOP, Greece
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PALERMO, Italy
- DIE BERATER UNTERNEHMENSBERATUNGS GESELLSCHAFT MBH, Austria
- TEXTGAIN BVBA, Belgium
- Radio la Benevolencija, The Netherlands